Myanmar’s Army promises to hold new elections and hand over power as protests against the coup continue across the country.
Military spokesman Brigadier General Zaw Min Tun claimed that the military had taken control after the alleged election fraud. He did not provide any evidence.
He added that a second criminal complaint has filed against the arrested opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi.
The mass protests followed against the February 1, military coup.
In recent days, the military has increased its presence on the streets and deployed armored vehicles in several cities. This is another sign of possible repression of opposition demonstrations.
During the first press conference since the coup, Zau Min Tun said forces would not remain in power for long. Furthermore Myanmar’s Army promises to “restore power to the winning party” after the scheduled elections.
He did not provide a voting date.
What else did the Myanmar’s Army say?
Zaw Min Tun told reporters in the capital, Nay Pyi Taw on Tuesday, that Suu Kyi had charged with additional charges relating to alleged violations of the country’s natural disaster law.
Suu Kyi had previously accused of possessing illegally imported walkie-talkies. However media correspondent says the claims are false.
Zaw Min Tun said that Suu Kyi has locked in her home for her own safety. She is comfortable and healthy.
He used the press conference to accuse the demonstrators of carrying out a violent protest and intimidation against security forces.
A police officer injured by the “illegal act” and later died of his injuries, he said.
Protesters clashed with security officers and there were reports recently that police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse crowds.
A protester is in critical condition after being shot in the head.
Mya Thwe Thwe Khaing, 19, has injured in the protests – although it is not clear exactly what she beaten. Human rights groups say their wounds are the same as live bullet wounds.
Zaw Min Tun said some measures to control crowds of demonstrators were in response to throwing bricks at police.
The United Nations warned the military in Myanmar, which on Monday sentenced up to 20 years in prison for those who spoke out against coup plotters, that there would be “serious consequences” for any brutal action against the ongoing coup protests.
What else is happening in Myanmar?
Protesters marched again Tuesday morning and crowds gathered in cities such as Yangon and Mandalay. The media reports that the monks seen in deserted streets of Yangon.
Outside the city, demonstrators can seen lying on a tracks to disrupt services. According to media, this blocked the railway line between Yangon and the southern city of Mawlamyine.
Turnout during the recent protests appears to be lower than last week, which attracted tens of thousands of people as the military strengthened.
Meanwhile, internet access in Myanmar recovered on Tuesday morning after being cut off for a second night.
The junta has regularly blocked the net in an attempt to clamp down on dissent since the start of the coup.
On Saturday, the military gave itself the power to arrest, search and arrest people for more than 24 hours without a court order while telling journalists not to call the military takeover a coup.
Violent clashes were reported that residents of several cities had formed night watch groups to stop mobs reportedly sent by the military to provoke unrest.