Copyright claims often do make against YouTube videos that use even a small amount of licensed music. Costing the creators money after they’ve spent hours making the video. Long-running arguments between YouTube creators and Google’s video-sharing site focus on copyright issues. When a YouTube video uses licensed music, the music’s owner can file a copyright strike.
With the ability to make money from licensed music, however, YouTube will no longer be a music villain. This Monday, the group takes out Creator Music, a platform that lets YouTubers use licensed music in their videos without worrying about their ads being taken down.
YouTube creators then have basically two options. They can use music without a license and keep all of the money for themselves. They can get a license and give the artists 27.5% of the money. Thanks to partnerships with more than 50 labels, publishers, and distributors. YouTube’s Creator Music has “several hundred thousand” songs available for download.
As of now, the beta version of the new program is only available in the U.S. But in 2023, it is available in other countries as well.
YouTube, which is the biggest video-sharing website in the world, is now trying to make it easier for content creators to make money from their work. YouTube did end its creator money as a way to focus on its new Shorts programme, which now does announce last week. In contrast to long-form films, YouTube is starting a program where Shorts producers will get 45% of the advertising revenue and YouTube will keep the other 55%.
YouTube may have mainly wanted to compete with TikTok. But the increased level of competition seems to be good for YouTube’s content creators.