Russia Threatens to Block YouTube over Deleting its State RT Channels  

Russia and Google have never been the greatest of friends, but if the two sides are unable to come to terms in the newest disagreement, things are about to get lot worse between them. Following the deactivation of the Germany-based branch of Russia’s official television network Russia Today (RT) due to COVID-19 disinformation. On Wednesday Russia threatens to block the YouTube over to deleting its state and German-languages channels RT from the platforms

Russia has threatened to completely shut down the video streaming service in the nation if RT Germany is not reinstated. Additionally, the nation has warned Germany, claiming that the government is behind YouTube’s move to ban RT Germany and that it will block German media.

Following a one-week suspension for violating the platform’s COVID-19 misinformation standards, according to Deutsche Welle, YouTube eventually suspended RT for an indefinite period of time. Instead, RT turned to its second channel, “Der Fehlende Part,” to continue posting programming intended for its major channel, successfully circumventing the block. “Russia Today attempted to avoid the enforcement by utilising another channel,” according to a representative, and as a consequence, both channels were deleted for violating YouTube’s terms and conditions.

Russian media regulator Roskomnadzor immediately requested that Google eliminate all limitations on its video platform in the country, threatening to penalize the firm or to completely or partially shut the service.

Reaction of RT Editor-in-Chief on blocking Channels

RT editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan went so far as to claim on Twitter that “This is a true media war started by the state of Germany against the state of Russia,” accusing the German government of interfering with decisions against the broadcaster’s operations.

She also called on Russian authorities to impose a ban on German state media in Russia as a retaliation. And it appears that the government is paying attention. Russia’s Foreign Ministry stated in a statement provided to Radio Free Europe (and subsequently published by the Washington Post) that Only hope remains that the three parties concerned will be able to come to an agreement, although this may be challenging.

The German government has denied any influence in YouTube’s decision, and the video-sharing site has maintained its commitment to upholding its standards – at least for the time being.

After everything is said and done, the general Russian populace may end up being the uninvolved third party that bears the brunt of the repercussions, as the country threatens to lose access to one of the world’s most popular entertainment platforms.

Read more: Amazon Announces Home Robot called Astro for Smart Home Security

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

CTO Lahore Muntazir Mehdi said All entry and exit points had...

0
Lahore Current Situation: Muntazir Mehdi stated in a statement that traffic flow was as usual on all entry and departure points to the city