YouTube removed the Brazilian President Bolsonaro video from its channel for spreading misinformation on COVID pandemic and some others reasons and become the latest tech giant to issue its pandemic statement.
YouTube removed several videos from Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s channel on Wednesday for spreading misinformation about the coronavirus, the tech giant said in a statement.
“After careful review, we removed the video from Jair Bolsonaro’s channel for violating our COVID-19 disinformation policy,” the company said. “Our guidelines do not allow content that claims that hydroxychloroquine and/or ivermectin is effective in treating or preventing COVID-19, claims that there is a guaranteed cure for COVID-19, and claims that masks will not work to prevent the virus from spreading. This is in line with guidelines from local and global health authorities and we update our guidelines as they change. “
YouTube says it consistently enforces its policies across its platforms and removes videos regardless of Bolsonaro’s ideology or political work.
Bolsonaro’s YouTube channel has more than 3 million subscribers and he uses it to host weekly programs where he asks viewers questions.
He regularly talks about his doubts about the severity of COVID-19, his belief in the effectiveness of unproven or unproven treatments, and his disdain for home-restriction rules.
Brazil has one of the largest and deadliest coronavirus outbreaks and its far-right president has been criticized for managing the crisis. In April, Brazil’s Congress opened an investigation into its response to the pandemic.
Last year, Facebook and Twitter removed Bolsonaros’ posts criticizing social distancing measures and promoting fake drugs for COVID-19.
Bolsonaro’s YouTube channel hosts his weekly national address, which is a folk and music event where he invites ministers, quizzes viewers and blows up his enemies.
During the pandemic, Brazil is battling one of the worlds most significant and deadly coronavirus outbreaks, and the president is facing increasing criticism for managing the crisis.
In April, Brazil’s Congress opened a formal investigation potentially indicting Bolsonaro.