On the first of Muharram, [August 10], the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa administration proclaimed a public holiday.
On Friday, the administrative department sent a notification concerning the change. However, the judgement was based on the Ruet-e-Hilal Committee observation of the moon.
The Punjab and Sindh governments had earlier this week issued new SOPs in Muharram for processions.
Pakistan battles the fourth wave of the new coronavirus, which has enhanced Ashura restrictions by provincial governments (9 and 10 Muharram).
- Majalis should be kept open.
- On-site vaccination will take place.
- It is compulsory to use masks and sanitizers.
- In Majalis only vaccinated worshippers are permitted.
- Ensure that there is social distance and cleanliness.
- Food in disposable containers should be spread across open places.
On 9 August Muharram and on 19 August Ashura are anticipated to be celebrated.